Iron Production

About Iron and Steel Production

According to preliminary data released by the US Geological Survey (USGS), the global iron ore production estimate in 2021 is 2,600 million tons of processed ore, up 5.3% from a year ago. (2,470 million tons).

The USGS said that the increase in iron production, shipping and trade in 2021 is due to the recovery from the effects of the global epidemic of COVID-19, which reduced the production and consumption of iron in the world in 2020. With an expected production of 900 million tons of steel in 2021, Australia is the largest producer of steel, followed by Brazil (380 million tons), China (360 million tons) and Australia. India (240 million tons).

Major steel producing countries, millions of tons of metal can be used. * Preliminary plan. Source: USGS. According to the report, the global price rose to an average unit value of $178.27 per ton in the first 9 months of 2021, a 64% increase from the 2020 annual average of $108.92 per ton and a 90% increase over the 2019 value. .an average of $93.85 per ton.

According to the declared price of the sale of iron oil (62% iron content) imported from China (price, insurance and freight at Tianjin port), the highest monthly price in the first 9 months of 2021 was $ 214.43 per ton in June compared to that in December 2020 is 155.43 US dollars

Production In India

India is currently the second largest producer of crude steel in the world from January to December 2021, producing 118.20 million tonnes (MT) of steel growing at 17.9% over the corresponding period last year (CPLY).
India is the largest producer of direct reducing iron (DRI) or stage iron in the world from January to December 2021, producing 39.04 MT of stage iron with an increase of 16.2% from the corresponding period last year go (CPLY). India is the second largest consumer of steel in 2021 (106.23 MT), preceded by China as the largest consumer of steel according to the World Steel Association.
Domestic steel capacity grew from 137.97 MT in 2017-2018 to 154.06 MT in 2021-22, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7% over this five-year period. Steel production increased by 4.2% year-on-year (CAGR), from 103.13 MT in 2017-18 to 120.29 MT in 2021-22.
From April to July 2021-22 (reflection; source: JPC), here is the industry situation compared to the same time last year:
Steel production stood at 41.09 MT, up 8.9%. SAIL, RINL, TSL Group, AM/NS, JSWL & JSPL together produced 24.75 MT (60% share) during this period, up 4.5%. Others (16.34 MT) from other manufacturers, up 16.2%. With a share of 83%, the private sector (34.10 MT, up 11.3%) led stainless steel production compared to the 17% contribution from PSUs (down 1.8%).
Steel production was 1.97 MT, down 6.6%. Private companies account for 89%, while the remaining 11% are public shares.
If the steel is finished (unalloyed + alloyed / stainless steel):
Production stood at 38.54 MT, up 9.3%. Exports stood at 2.57 MT, down 49.3%.
Imports stood at 1.62 MT, up 3.1%. India is a net exporter of finished goods.
Consumption stood at 36.51 MT, representing a growth of 10.6%.

Climate change and iron and steel production

Steel production is still a CO2 and energy intensive activity. However, the steel industry is committed to continuing to reduce the footprint of its operations and use of its products. There is no single solution to effectively reduce CO2 emissions from our industry and we believe that each country is best suited to evaluate and implement policies and technologies that are appropriate to its circumstances. However, the main points of the company’s response, affecting steel producers worldwide, are:

Reduce our own feelings
Working in a circular economy
Creating high-tech products to make a difference in society
Edwin Basson, CEO of worldsteel, said: “What is clear is that the government and other stakeholders must work together with the steel industry to overcome the technological and economic challenges and to create the market conditions that exist. importance.performance carbon steelmaker.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *